Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Engineers (2 positions): UNICEF
Deadline: 3 June 2012
Consultancy Notice No. Zim/2012:07
Duration period: 6 months
UNICEF is supporting the local authorities in Zimbabwe in rehabilitation of water and sanitation systems in urban areas with the objective of reducing the risk of cholera and or other diarrheal diseases cases through enhancing the equitable access of safe water and improved sanitation services to the most vulnerable population groups. In this context, UNICEF is seeking a motivated and qualified Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Engineer to support the implementation of urban water and sanitation rehabilitation programme.
The consultancy is designed to provide technical support to UNICEF’s urban water and sanitation rehabilitation programme through assessment, supervision and monitoring of all programme elements and supporting implementing partners to ensure effective and timely interventions in the target urban centers.
Specific responsibilities will include
1. Undertake technical and financial evaluation of proposals and bids from implementing partners/consultants/contractors and make recommendations
2. Review designs, technical reports, cost estimates, bills of quantity, drawings, specifications, bidding documents and certification documents prepared by the partners/consultants and advise accordingly
3. Provide guidance on technical/contractual aspects of the programme
4. Undertake rapid assessments of water and sanitation infrastructure in urban areas, prepare bill of quantities and provide guidance on implementation as required
5. Undertake monitoring of works, advise implementing partners and ensure works done are implemented as per acceptable standards and specifications
6. Provide support to the local authorities for development and implementation of strategies for enhanced cost recovery
7. Advise on management of supply component of the urban rehabilitation programme and ensure implementing partners are procuring the correct materials and equipment for the particular projects
- A degree in Civil Engineering or other related field
- At least ten years of practical experience of design and supervision of urban water supply and sewage works
- Experience in contract management would be an added advantage
- Strong interpersonal skills, organisational networking, the ability to communicate efficiently and effectively with a range of government and civil society partners
- Demonstrated communication skills in English (both written and verbal)
The position will be initially for a period of 6 months.
Expressions of Interest
If you have experience of working in a similar capacity, meet the above profile and want to make an active and lasting contribution to build a better world for children, send your application letter addressing each of the qualifications and skills above and curriculum vitae, quoting Consultancy Notice number to the following address.
Human Resources Manager
(Consultancy Notice No. 07: Zim-2012)
UNICEF, 6 Fairbridge Avenue,
P O Box 1250
Or email: hararevacancies [at] gmail [dot] com
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.